There are several techniques that you can use to learn how to spell. Some suggested techniques are:
- Use a dictionary.
- Practise writing the word down several times.
- Use the “look, say, cover, write, check” method.
- Use mnemonics (your own reminders)
- Use a spelling rule.
This unit covers option 3, the “look, say, cover, write, check” method.
“look, say, cover, write, check” method
- Write down the word.
- Look at it carefully.
- Say the word loud enough so that you can hear it.
- Cover up the word.
- Write the word.
- Check the word with the original.
- If the word is incorrect, try again until it is correct.
- Repeat these steps at intervals (1 day, 1 week) until you can spell the word.